[mythtv-users] Cheapest way to build a frontend?

Jesse Dhillon tobor at berkeley.edu
Mon Dec 25 20:02:32 UTC 2006

So I've finally submitted to the fact that I don't have the hardware to
build a decent frontend/backend in the same machine:

CPU: Athlon64 3200+
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 500GB SATA, 250GB SATA
Video: Geforce 6800 GT 512MB
TV: 2x pcHDTV 5500, 2x PVR-150

It's almost there, but what I'm gonna do instead is make that machine a
backend. This machine just cannot play HDTV while streaming SD or HD to
another frontend. I can't believe it, as I know that this hardware is
plenty powerful.

So, what I would like to know from you guys is, what's the best
(price/performance tradeoff) hardware for building a frontend to play SD
and HDTV? If I could get away with spending <$300 that would be best. I
have a case, dvdrom and hdd already.

Thanks,

Jesse.