[mythtv-users] Remote controls compatible w/ iMON Soundgraph

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 25 01:03:17 UTC 2006

On 24/12/06, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> >> That's a real pain. I've fairly got my heart set on a Silverstone
> >> case (with VFD) and had hoped to use the remote from my Apple MacBook
> >> with it.
> >>
> >> Is it common for IR units to respond only to their own remotes? I'd
> >> have thought that all IR remotes used the same "range of
> >> frequencies".
> >
> > OK, I've been here before...
> >
> > First of all, I bought a Silverstone LC-11M case. the iMon 'PAD'
> > remote that came with it sucked. ... to replace it I went out
> > and bought an 'X-Box 360 Universal Media Remote', which was perfect
> > for what I needed. ...
> > I eventually went through every remote in the house, all
> > with the same problem (the codes received from a button press were
> > never the same, basically just random jargon). After posting on
> > venky's forums, I was told that the iMon receiver would only work with
> > an iMon remote.
>
> :(
>
> What a pain! Thank you, though, for clarifying this for me.
>
> > With no chance of getting the iMon receiver to work with anything
> > other than the iMon remote, I decided to build a serial IR receiver
> > (design: http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html)
>
> I may do something similar.
>
> The problem with a serial connection is that - I think? - they are
> only available on the outside of most cases.

Well, I'm using an Micro-ATX motherboard (MSI K8NGM2-FID), which
actually has internal serial header pins. I think most motherboards
that don't have serial as a port on the back have at least some
internal pins. Anyway, I mounted the IR receiver next to the original
iMon receiver in my case - it's hidden behind a dark piece of perspex.
I was lucky, got away with no exterior *things*. If my internal
mounting failed, I was gonna fall back to an external MCE receiver
(less hastle then building my own USB receiver).

Anyway, glad I could help someone...

James