[mythtv-users] Record HD *and* SD showings?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Dec 24 19:53:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 12:37 -0500, Doug Larrick wrote:
> I am adding a PVR-150 to my HD-only MythTV system, to record shows off
> of analog cable.  Once this is done, the only use of my old Series1 Tivo
> will be as a backup for those times weather interferes with over-the-air
> recordings of HD programs.
>
> Is there a way to convince MythTV to record the same show twice at the
> same time, from two different channels?  Then the PVR-150 recording
> would serve as the weather backup.
>
> If I make an any-channel schedule, MythTV chooses the showing on the HD
> channel (as expected, since it has higher channel priority).  If I make
> two channel-only schedules, the HD-channel showing is active and the
> SD-channel showing is marked as a duplicate (unless I use duplicate
> check method "none", in which case it wants to record old reruns too).
>
> Any ideas?

I don't think this is currently possible. I would like to
record both as well. A quick-n-dirty method might be to just
modify the HD descriptions to add something like "[HD]" and
also clear the programid column, then it wouldn't be detected
as a duplicate.

A better option would be to make the needed changes to the
scheduler, but this would have to be optional. When I had
a more dependable HD setup, I always wanted the HD recorded
and not the SD when both were available. At the moment I'm
using CATV HDTV which isn't as dependable as the aerial.

-- Daniel