[mythtv-users] Remote controls compatible w/ iMON Soundgraph

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 24 12:36:35 UTC 2006

On 24/12/06, Stroller <linux.luser at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2006, at 05:20, Henry A Harper III wrote:
> >> Is anyone using this VFD (or its derivatives like the Silverstone
> >> cases) with an alternative remote? Ideally, I think I'd like to use a
> >> Logitech or Xbox360 remote.
> >
> > I have a Silverstone case with one of these VFDs, and I haven't
> > tried to
> > learn the codes to my "universal remote" (pocketpc w/nevo software)
> > but I
> > did have absolutely no success trying to get the VFD/IR unit to
> > record/listen to any other remote (tivo, xbox360, etc).
>
> That's a real pain. I've fairly got my heart set on a Silverstone
> case (with VFD) and had hoped to use the remote from my Apple MacBook
> with it.
>
> Is it common for IR units to respond only to their own remotes? I'd
> have thought that all IR remotes used the same "range of frequencies".
>
> Stroller

OK, I've been here before...

First of all, I bought a Silverstone LC-11M case. the iMon 'PAD'
remote that came with it sucked. The d-pad was unreliable, and there
were numerous other design floors in it. So, to replace it I went out
and bought an 'X-Box 360 Universal Media Remote', which was perfect
for what I needed. I downloaded a premade config for the remote from
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/microsoft/Xbox360, only to find it
didn't work. I eventually went through every remote in the house, all
with the same problem (the codes received from a button press were
never the same, basically just random jargon). After posting on
venky's forums, I was told that the iMon receiver would only work with
an iMon remote.

With no chance of getting the iMon receiver to work with anything
other than the iMon remote, I decided to build a serial IR receiver
(design: http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html). Since then, every remote
I have tried has worked. Never looked back at the iMon thing again
(apart from the VFD, which is nice).

Don't quote my on this, but I think the receiver (which is USB) from
the Microsoft Media Center Remote kit (like this one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/77109), works with many remotes,
however you might want to check that out first.

Hope this helps, James