[mythtv-users] Loosely coupled slave FE/BE

Cory Zerwas gannas at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 06:39:26 UTC 2006

I was just pondering this idea today and thought I would see if anyone
touched on this.  I have to say I am a little reassured now that I see
others are interested as well.  I have a bit different of a need but I am
also interested in making my notebook a portable PVR of sorts as you have
touched on already.

I came upon an archive-myth idea as I watch the expiration of our recordings
take a huge spike during this marathon-intensive holiday streak the networks
have.  We only have a few hundred gigs of storage and we are finding that
even with only 2-3 recordings per show there are so many on the air that
it's shrinking the expiration cycle time.  Today my fiance noticed that all
of the kids' pre-holiday specials have already expired out of the system.

I already have a slave backend on another system with a fair amount of
storage.  It seems to be rather cumbersome and ineffecient to try and
"share" this storage with my master backend .  I don't suppose it would be
possible to export certain recordings to that backend for storage, like an
"archive" myth backend and playback that archived video from that machine?
In that case would I have to have two different frontend configs for the two
DBs, depending on which I wanted to use; or would it be possible to hack a
way to combine both DB's info into master backend list we normally see?

I will probably start this on christmas day (we already celebrated solstice
instead). Does anyone have any experiences that may help me along with this,
or does anyone know that this will not work?  I'm currently on 0.20-fixes .

Thank you,
Cory