[mythtv-users] PVR-500

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sat Dec 23 21:50:01 UTC 2006

I was just checking out the PVR-500 (yes, I've seen the various threads
regarding the Samsung vs. Phillips tuners), and, am I right in that
there is really only one coax video input?  In looking at the pictures
on Newegg, I'm a bit confused with regard to the application I am
looking to use it in.

I've got DirecTV, which means that I need a STB (Set top box) per
television, or, in this case, per MythTV tuner card.

I've got a Myth BackEnd on a MicroATX motherboard with three PCI slots.
I already have one slot occupied with the PVR-150 which is working out
great.  In the long run, I think I am going to need 4 tuners, so I
figured getting a PVR-500 with its dual tuners would do the trick.  But,
now that I look at the PVR-500, I'm having trouble figuring out how it
would work (I'd rather not buy it first without having a plan on how to
proceed).

Combine that with the fact that my dual-tuner DirecTivo is dying, I've
got to come up with some solution soon before my wife loses her DirecTivo.

-Rich