[mythtv-users] reducing GUI size

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 22 13:22:54 UTC 2006

Go Hskrs wrote:
>> Is it possible to reduce the GUI size (the window that MythTV uses for
>> the menu) and have MytHTV make the borders around the reduced size black?
>> In other words: I want to keep my desktop as it is, have MythTV use the
>> full 720*576 (or 720*480 in case of NTSC) but have the menu overscan
>> painted black.
>
> Udo -
>
> I couldn't find a way to do it, so after resizing the Myth GUI, I
> changed my desktop background to a centered graphic that is smaller
> than the GUI.  (I tried all-black first, but then I couldn't tell the
> difference between "mythfrontend is thinking" and "dammit,
> mythfrontend segfaulted again and I gotta go restart it" ... 8^)
>
> Not elegant, but it does work.

Yes, I see, but it's a workaround, not a real solution (with all due
respect of course).
So I am landing in `feature request land` because of this:

A way to keep the resolution of the GUI as it is (same as video, 720*576
for SD PAL) then blacking a small region around the edges to fill the
overscan and use the part of the picture that is not blacked.
This would give no desktop issues and work easiest.

Is this proper formulation? (native language is Dutch)