[mythtv-users] How to plan for a expandable MythTV system??

casey dunn casey.dunn at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 22:04:40 UTC 2006

On 12/21/06, Trent Carbe <trencarbe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> - CRT TV -> LCD TV
Look for a card with svideo and DVI at the least.  ( I don't think
HDMI is supported in linux yet, although some cards offer this output)

> - stereo sound -> 7.1 sound
You're looking for AC3 passthough.

> - regular DVD -> HD-DVD or Blueray
Don't worry about it.  By the time either tech is working under linux
you'll be on your 3rd or 4th upgrade.

Assuming you're buying new and not re-purposing old components their
isn't much on the market that can't grab two pre-compressed streams of
SDTV and play another simultaneously.  If it where me I would look for
a nice case that is easy to cool quietly, a dual tuner capture card,
and fast/matched DDR2.  None of the rest will matter much for SDTV or
seriously affect your ability to upgrade later.  As for a hidef
future, there are several threads recently about issues with these
larger files, I don't have a hidef output so everything I view is
transcoded to DVD quality or less.