[mythtv-users] How to plan for a expandable MythTV system??

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 06:24:41 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Trent Carbe <trencarbe at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
> I've been reading about HTPC's and MythTV in general, but I'm still a
> newbie. What I cannot grasp is how to configure a simple system that meets
> my needs for now, but can be exchangeable when the needs change?

Future-proofing a system is not a difficult matter, but does beg a few
questions. Mostly it has to do with priorities, since prices for some
things will come down dramatically given time (like storage in $ per
GB, and HD displays), some things will come down slightly in time
(llke capture cards), some things will stay at the same price (like
PSUs), and some things will stay the same cost while increasing in
capacity and performance (like CPUs, GPUs and RAM).

> Let me illustrate this with my requirements on today's HTPC configuration:
> - Double tuners (analogue or digital)

Easily doable.

> - Being able to record and play streams simultaneously

This is what MythTV is for and what it does.

> - Connect to a CRT TV

No problem

> - TV and movie (of different formats) watching

There are very few formats MythTV can't handle (or transcode to).

> - Listening to radio (but radio is supported via TV tuners)

Can't help you with radio.

> - Remote control

Done with varying degrees of difficuly, but MythTV is designed to be
controlled by remote.