[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause with HD - really... no kidding...

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gtgj at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 21 02:12:43 UTC 2006

h> On 12/18/06, Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. <gtgj at pacbell.net> wrote:

>> I have two FC5 systems each with a single-core Athlon 64
>> 3500+.  One is running 32-bit and one is 64-bit.  Both use nVidia
>> cards (6600) and drivers (1.0-8776).  Both can just play HD without
>> stuttering (without XvMC):
>>
>> 1080i with kerneldeint:  15-25% idle, X uses 10-20%
>> 720p:  0% idle, X uses ~60%

h> Wow! This is the best performance I've read about with a FC#/AMD/MythTV
h> machine -- impressive

        Hmmm, I don't think it's that impressive considering it's
maxed out and people have been able to do HD with lesser CPUs.  Maybe
you misread my "idle" time as busy CPU time?

h> Can I pepper you with questions?
h> What version of MythTV?

        I compile my own and periodically update to SVN head  I'm
currently a couple of weeks behind (r12223) but performance has been
pretty consistent for a long time now.

h> Did you compile your own kernel(s)?

        No, regular FC5 kernel.  I think I'm currently one version
behind the latest update.

h> Did make any special tweaks to the settings?

        Nothing special -- OpenGL sync and realtime priority.

h> How did you employ the kerneleint?

        It's in the first page of the TV Playback settings
(deinterlace algorithm).  bobdeint looks better but is too much for
these systems.  I have another system with an x2 4200+ where bobdeint
works fine.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.