[mythtv-users] Help with mythweb please

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:06:06 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> > I am running Fedora Core 5, installing the SVN version of Mythweb.
> >
> > And as you indicate, I will contribute my experience getting Mythweb
> > to work on Fedora Core, just as soon as I succeed in doing so.
>
> That's odd.  My mythbox is currently running fc5, which is what all of
> my defaults are based on.
>
> > First tho, I would just like to get Mythweb working in the simplest way
> > possible.  At this point, the easiest way for me is to try the ".htaccess"
> > file method (I have not yet worked on it).
>
> That also requires *a* mythweb.conf file (covered in the README file for
> .20) to grant the proper permissions to the .htaccess file.  That's why
> I combined things into a single file.
>
> > Other posters in this thread have indicated that I will have to study
> > Apache before I can understand how to code the mythweb.apache.conf,
> > and then copy/move it to /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf.
>
> The only thing you should have to do is change the directory name at the
> top of the file to match your mythweb installation.  If you update your
> checkout, you'll even get very specific directions in the file telling
> you what to do, along with examples.
>
> I've even commented out the "weird" compression stuff that wasn't in the
> old .htaccess file, but that shouldn't matter at all since those modules
> *are* enabled by default in fedora.
>
> In fact, if you're using fedora, you should only need to (as root):
>
> rm -rf /var/www/html/
> svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins/mythweb /var/www/html
> chown -R apache.apache /var/www/html
> mv /var/www/html/mythweb.conf.apache /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf
> service httpd restart
>
> Keep in mind that the first comment there blows away the entire
> /var/www/html directory, since I assume that your mythbox is not running
> any other web services.
>
> Then you just point your browser to http://mythbox's-ip/  and you should
> get mythweb.
>
> If you want to install to /var/www/html/mythweb,
>
> rm -rf /var/www/html/mythweb
> svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins/mythweb \
>        /var/www/html/mythweb
> chown -R apache.apache /var/www/html/mythweb
> mv /var/www/html/mythweb.conf.apache /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf
> nano /etc/httpd/conf.d/mythweb.conf # this is where you edit the file
> service httpd restart
>
> When you edit the file, you'll see:
>
>     <Directory "/var/www/html" >
>
> Change this to:
>
>     <Directory "/var/www/html/mythweb" >
>
> *All* of this should be covered between the conf, INSTALL and README
> files, so please do tell me if I covered something here that I missed there.

Wow!  Now that is a whole lot of help - thank you Chris.

I'll comment on the very last item you wrote above:  I did not change
the <Directory "/var/www/html" > statement.  No doubt this is where I
was unsure/confused, decided that the file was correct, and therefore
made no change to it.

I was pretty comfortable with the .htaccess file because that method allowed
me to install and run BOTH Mythweb and phpMyAdmin.  But when I saw
the new file, mythweb.apache.conf, I just thought, "Boy, I hope this file
needs no changes because I'll have to learn enough Apache to allow
phpMyAdmin to continue to run".

So, you can see that because I want to run at least one other application
besides Mythweb, I wanted to stick with what allowed me to do that.

It still seems to me that I will have to study Apache and figure out how
to code the configuration files so that both Mythweb as well as other
applications can run and not disturb each other.

Thanks again for all the help and clarification of the mythweb.conf file.

--
MM