[mythtv-users] pcHDTV-5500 Help with NTSC ... please

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Dec 19 17:24:57 UTC 2006

Jesse Dhillon wrote:

> The drivers I use create /dev/video0, not the v4l directory. I don't
> know what's going on there but maybe the cause of my success and your
> failure with NTSC on the 5500 has to do with a difference in drivers,
> mine come from the pcHDTV.com website if that helps any.

[rcs at vader: ~]$ lsl /dev/video*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Dec 18 11:27 /dev/video -> v4l/video0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10 Dec 18 11:27 /dev/video0 -> v4l/video0
[rcs at vader: ~]$ lsl /dev/vbi*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Dec 18 11:27 /dev/vbi -> v4l/vbi0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Dec 18 11:27 /dev/vbi0 -> v4l/vbi0

I downloaded and compiled/installed the drivers from the pcHDTV.com site
last week.  That fixed the known signal-strength bug, but didn't solve the
NTSC scan problem.  I still think it some sort of configuration issue,
rather than drivers, since I can watch the NTSC channnels with tvtime if
mythfrontend isn't running.

> I know how frustrating it is when something doesn't work in Myth (I
> think everyone knows) but I had a problem with analog channels on that
> card for a while too. It's maddening, sorry things aren't working out
> for you right now.

Yeah, no kidding.

I appreciate the help so far.  If you come across anything that might shed
some light on this, please send it on.  I've Googled this to death and
can't find a an actual mythtv-setup configuration (yes, which options to
check and what to put in the text fields) that works with this card.  It
seems that some of the experts on the pcHDTV forum don't use Myth, which
limits the help I can get over there (but they have been somewhat
helpful).

Thanks
Bob