[mythtv-users] Hardware Advice: Single board Mini Box for HD?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Tue Dec 19 10:35:35 UTC 2006

On 19 Dec 2006, at 06:07, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> Actually, can I do any better building my own than an Intel Mac Mini?

I don't have experience directly relevant to an HD-playback frontend,
but from my experiences of the cost of self-building PCs I'm inclined
to doubt it.

> The i915 in the laptop is disappointing, and I don't know how much
> more
> the i950 buys you compared with a i915. It seems like the Linux driver
> is still a work in progress and doesn't support xvmc as yet.

I'm pretty sure that Intel are very supportive of OSS drivers for
their graphics hardware. See <http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/>. It
might not be the BEST answer for you, but I'd guess that even if the
i950 isn't perfectly supported yet then you may expect support to
improve in the future. I'd be inclined to buy Intel graphics hardware
over Nvidia or ATi for this reason.

Stroller.