[mythtv-users] 0.20 crashing problem (newbie)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 16 22:51:24 UTC 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 3:21 PM, NathanKell wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 16, 2006, at 11:58 AM, NathanKell wrote:
>>

> Well, yeah. But I'm (moderately) sure it's software at least, because
> it's been stable for a year or more with .18. And while it locked in
> FC6, it was stable again when I reverted from FC6 to FC3.
> I mean, if it was just random lockyness, then yeah I'd start pulling
> cards and stuff. I may be a -linux- newbie, but not so much PC. ;)
>
> The one piece of hardware it could be is the new hard drive--I can try
> swapping video partitions again and getting rid of LVM. But I'm kinda
> doubtful that's it. Obviously can't hurt though..

Check your system logs (/var/log/messages and perhaps X logs) as well
as the Myth logs.

You might want to boot one of the live CD Linux versions and see if
that is stable.

If you installed a new drive it means you had the case open and might
have bumped a cable or a card.

You were having some problems previously, just more of them now. With
the addition of the new drive you now have more heat being generated
and perhaps more cables to impede airflow. This would give credence
to a possible thermal problem.

If your PSU was marginal adding a drive would also make that problem
worse.