[mythtv-users] Playing WMA files in MythMusic

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 19:45:07 UTC 2006

On 12/16/06, Brad Goodman <brad at bradgoodman.com> wrote:
> I imported a bunch of WMA files (no DRM on them).
>
> When they are in the playlist, and I try to play them - nothing happens.

I've had issues with wma files in the past. I don't know that they
ever failed to play, but they took longer to load, and would
temporarily freeze the system if they came up in the play queue and I
tried to skip them -- by temporarily I mean a few seconds. Not
terrible, but certainly frustrating.

It only confirmed my suspicion that wma is a pretty crappy audio format to use.

If you're on KDE, there's a very nifty little applet called Audiokonverter:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=12608

It's a KDE tool that lets you convert files and folders from from OGG,
MP3, AAC, M4A, FLAC, WMA, RealAudio, Musepack, Wavpack, WAV and movies
to MP3, OGG, M4A, WAV and FLAC directly from Konqueror through the
context menu:

Right-click a song, directory, or selection -> Actions -> Convert ->
Pick your format -> Set quality -> set destination -> Off it goes to
process the whole batch.

It's quite fast and very effective. And you'll likely eliminate all
the music problems once your wmas are transcoded into more capable
formats, like mp3 or preferably ogg.