[mythtv-users] Freeview channels on UK Sky Dish. FTA vs FTV? CAM required?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Sat Dec 16 09:35:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 03:35:38AM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2006, at 20:23, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 07:31:15PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
> >
> >> My understanding is that the BBC channels are "free to air" (FTA) and
> >> unencrypted and that these can be accessed using a Hauppage Nova-s
> >> DVB-S PCI card and Sky dish. I think that's what this chap <http://
> >> tinyurl.com/yza9yt> is doing.
> >
> > Have a look at http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html
> (your updated link)
>
> Could I ask for just a little help translating this, please?
>
> Am I right in thinking that all the free-to-air channels are those
> with a pale-yellow background colour?

The important column is the one headed "Enc. System" ie. encryption sys.
Anything with an "F" under it is FTA

> Because this covers all the BBCs, all the ITVs and a bunch of other
> rubbish. Film 4 is a free-to-air channel? I remember when it started
> up it was the one channel I considered paying a subscription for!!

Yes it's free on dvb-s & dvb-t

> And that the table makes no distinction between subscription & free-
> to-view channels? Both are listed as encrypted with a pale-brick
> background colour?

Sadly no, essentially if it's free on dvb-t and is listed as encrypted
on lyngsat then it's a FTV channel.

Luckily for you a bit more searching around finds the consumer friendly
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/satellite/freesatepg/

Stuart