[mythtv-users] Best Epia choice?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 15 14:56:54 UTC 2006

Brett Kosinski wrote:
> On 12/14/06, *Brett Kosinski* <fancypantalons at gmail.com
> <mailto:fancypantalons at gmail.com>> wrote:
>         > Well, I have an EN12000EG which is fanless and contains a
>         VT1625, and
>         > while you are correct that the chipset isn't fully supported, it
>         > certainly works on my TV.  The only major trick is that you
>         have to tell
>         > the via driver to use the VESA BIOS for setting the video modes.
>         > This'll get you a working 640x480 NTSC configuration.  The picture
>         > doesn't perfectly fill the screen (there doesn't appear to be any
>         > overscan), but it does the job for me, anyway.
>
>         Hmmm. Sounds usable! Is there a similar PAL mode availabla via VESA?
>
>     There's definitely a 720x576 video mode listed in my Xorg logs, so I
>     think the answer is 'yes', but you might want to check the
>     OpenChrome mailing list (and possibly the VIA boards) just to make sure.
>
> And in reply to myself, it occurs to me that I haven't yet gotten a
> 720x480 mode working, so you'll definitely want to search the mailing
> lists to see if PAL works.

OK. WIll ask.

Another issue is that EN still requires an add-on board for
DVI/component output (needed for HD?) where the EX will have these at
the backplate. EX is still very new and driver support will be
incomplete I guess?
As I don't have real HD sources yet (no broadcasts, no blueray or hddvd
rips) I guess the EN will just be the speedup of the SP? (800 -> 1200
Mhz). HD content is still rare here so I guess EX can wait...