[mythtv-users] Best Epia choice?

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 14 21:02:37 UTC 2006

Brett Kosinski wrote:

>     Currently I use a VIA Epia SP8000. (fanless, 800 MHz)
>     If I want a fanless upgrade, what board would I consider for MythTV
>     use?
>     VT1625 is not fully supported in OpenChrome, so EX is not usable?
>
> Well, I have an EN12000EG which is fanless and contains a VT1625, and
> while you are correct that the chipset isn't fully supported, it
> certainly works on my TV.  The only major trick is that you have to tell
> the via driver to use the VESA BIOS for setting the video modes.
> This'll get you a working 640x480 NTSC configuration.  The picture
> doesn't perfectly fill the screen (there doesn't appear to be any
> overscan), but it does the job for me, anyway.

Hmmm. Sounds usable! Is there a similar PAL mode availabla via VESA?

> I do eagerly await full support in the openchrome drivers, though... :)

Me too, so I am also taking software support into consideration.
The SP8000 works OK but when there is some spending room it might be
interesting to do the step forward. Initially the hardware will more or
less run as on the SP8000, with perhaps limited use of all new
functionality but later the machien has similar support as the SP8000
now has. (no isues that I know of or suffer from.. ;-))

Udo