[mythtv-users] Transcoded MPEG4 + internal player = massive stutter

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:24:39 UTC 2006

I'm going on a trip soon, and so in order to transfer some video onto my
laptop, I decided to instruct Myth to transcode a bunch of MPEG2 recordings
I had to MPEG4. The resulting files work perfectly on the laptop, look
pretty decent, and are nearly a quarter the size of the originals to boot.
*But*, I discovered this morning, much to my chagrin, that the
newly-transcoded versions no longer play back smoothly on my VIA EPIA
frontend using the internal player (ie, when playing them from the Watch
Recordings page).

Thinking that my FE may just be a little wimpy, I decided to test the files
with mplayer.  And it was able to play them back perfectly.  So it *looks*
like the box should be capable.  For reference, it's a 1.2Ghz VIA, and the
videos are 720x480.

So, are there any settings I can tweak somewhere to improve MPEG4 playback
performance of the internal player?  Or am I stuck just copying the files to
the video directory and playing them back from MythVideo?

As an aside, I've already reconfig'd Myth so it won't delete the originals
when performing a transcode job, lest I get bit by this again. :)

Brett.