[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 13:40:56 UTC 2006

On 12/13/06, Jens Peter Vilstrup <yonzie.myth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/12/2006, at 4.40, David Whyte wrote:
> > The problem is, I want to
> > make certain I have enough power available without going to excessive
> > and 'hurting the planet'.  (Though I am not sure whether the extra
> > wattage is only used when needed).
> If you get a 1KW PSU it will be very inefficient if you only use,
> say, 200W, but it'll still not use more than ~300W.
>
> > I have a Sempron 2400 CPU,
> > 1x 512 MB and 1 x 256 MB RAM,
> > 1x DVD Burner,
> > 3 x DVB-T Tuner cards, and
> > 3x IDE type HDD's.
> >
> > The PSU is currently 400W, but I don't mind going bigger for my new
> > one.
> I run a generic 300W PSU in my file server with 5 250GB drives, 1
> 40GB drive and a Core2 Duo E6400, so 400W ought to be more than enough.
>
> If you buy a brand name like Enermax, Antec, Cooler Master, OCZ,
> Sparkle, FSP, Zalman and many others you should be good to go. No
> need to go higher than 350-400W
>
> Jens.

I agree. I had a good ( $60 ) 350 watt power supply with a
'silent' fan.. I ran it with a P4 3.0ghz board and 5 3.5" drives
and a DVD... no issues what so ever. Drives use 10 watts max
when they are really busy.  ... this was on a server so I didn't have a
'fast' graphic's card... not sure how much juice those things draw.

if you system is flaky... I'd look at other things before I looked
at the power supply.

jack