[mythtv-users] Getting OT: What size power supply for this backend...

Jens Peter Vilstrup yonzie.myth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:30:14 UTC 2006

On 13/12/2006, at 4.40, David Whyte wrote:
> The problem is, I want to
> make certain I have enough power available without going to excessive
> and 'hurting the planet'.  (Though I am not sure whether the extra
> wattage is only used when needed).
If you get a 1KW PSU it will be very inefficient if you only use,
say, 200W, but it'll still not use more than ~300W.

> I have a Sempron 2400 CPU,
> 1x 512 MB and 1 x 256 MB RAM,
> 1x DVD Burner,
> 3 x DVB-T Tuner cards, and
> 3x IDE type HDD's.
>
> The PSU is currently 400W, but I don't mind going bigger for my new
> one.
I run a generic 300W PSU in my file server with 5 250GB drives, 1
40GB drive and a Core2 Duo E6400, so 400W ought to be more than enough.

If you buy a brand name like Enermax, Antec, Cooler Master, OCZ,
Sparkle, FSP, Zalman and many others you should be good to go. No
need to go higher than 350-400W

Jens.