[mythtv-users] FC6 Kernel hang after upgrade. Slightly OT

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Dec 12 23:16:48 UTC 2006

Mark Hutchinson writes:

> MythBox is borked.  Hangs on "uncompressing Linux" in boot sequence.
>
> FC6 working fine, upgraded to latest kernel, now it hangs at
> "uncompressing Linux"
> The orig kernel is working fine if I choose it in the grub menu.  I
> have checked that the GRUB entry is fine and the referenced boot files
> are there.
>
> Any one else seen this, or have any idea how to diagnose?  I have rpm
> -e the new kernel and put it back in with -ivh ( keep old kernel ) and
> no luck.  I am using kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6.i686.rpm
>
> Thoughts?

Something in the new kernel breaks on your specific, individual hardware.
Nothing to do with the PVR card, some other hardware on your box is breaking
something.

Been there, done that.  This kind of thing happens all the time.  Open a
Bugzilla report, giving the output of "lspci -vv" and "lspci -n".  For a
good message, boot with your last working kernel, and append the output of
"dmesg" to your bug report.

There's nothing you can do except hope that someone will identify the issue,
and fix it in the next kernel errata.