[mythtv-users] Moving the location where my videos are stored...

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 12 22:41:58 UTC 2006

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:
>> If you are not changing the filenames, then it *appears* that changing
>> only the VideoStartupDir should work...but I have NO idea whether there
>> are not some other interdependencies in the database.
>
> So I stoppedmythTV (back and front).
> I unmounted the partition and mounted it on the new location: /MythTV.
> Then I changed RecordFilePrefix to /MythTV/ and restarted mythbackend.
> Then I went into MythWeb: http://recorder/mythweb/tv/recorded which did
> not show anything.
> mythbackend.log has stuff like:
>
> 2006-12-12 07:30:48.201 New DB connection, total: 4
>
> So the new path is used but MythTV is doing strange stuff to the
> filenames  (using them as path?).
> Is this a bug?
> Is this user error?
>
> Please help!

I was talking about 2 distinct things: moving your recorded tv programs,
and moving your videos. 'RecordFilePrefix' is the place where your
record tv programs are stored.
And the procedure to move your record tv programs is *IN THE DOCUMENTATION*.

You might want to take the trailing '/' off your changed
'RecordFilePrefix' value as there is a '//' in the output.

I suggest that you remount the partition where it was, change the Record
FilePrefix back to what it was, and follow the procedure in the
documentation for changing your hardware.

IF and ONLY IF you want to live dangerously, after backing up the
database again (you did do that?) you might want to try running
myth.rebuilddatabase.pl against the new mount point partition, and see
what happens....Please report your result.

(Please note: this is your final examination and is worth 100% of your
mark for the term.)
Geoff