[mythtv-users] Kurobox + WinTV-PVR-USB2 = working backend??

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:07:36 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, mark mckelvey <memckelvey at comcast.net> wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried to use an external USB tuner/encoder such as
> the WinTV-PVR-USB2 with a debianized Kurobox or Linksys NSLU2 (to
> which you'd also have to add a USB hard drive) to make a backend-only
> server?  I'm thinking my headless backend server with its 3GHz
> processor is a bit power hungry to be left on all the time, but if
> the Kurobox could work it might serve all my myth/server needs :)
> Just wondering...

I know at least one person in the kuro forums has it running with
gentoo, but I am currently running into issues with debian.

Here is the link to the thread

configure detects the arch as powerpc, but enables by default altivec
which may be one of the reasons I get an 'Illegal Instruction' when I
try an run the version from the debian-multimedia.org archive, or
compile from source with dpkg-buildbackage with the default options.
The kuroHG does not have altivec

I'm trying out the different configure options, but I don't have
distcc up and running so the compile take a number of hours to
complete so I have not made it very far other.

I'll post details if I'm successful.