[mythtv-users] Kurobox + WinTV-PVR-USB2 = working backend??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 12 21:58:54 UTC 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 2:37 PM, mark mckelvey wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to use an external USB tuner/encoder such as
> the WinTV-PVR-USB2 with a debianized Kurobox or Linksys NSLU2 (to
> which you'd also have to add a USB hard drive) to make a backend-only
> server?  I'm thinking my headless backend server with its 3GHz
> processor is a bit power hungry to be left on all the time, but if
> the Kurobox could work it might serve all my myth/server needs :)

Some folks have apparently had success using the PVR-USB2 with an
NSLU2, see:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/InstallWinTVPVRUSB2 and

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/InstallWinTVPVRUSB2

I doubt, however, that the slug has enough oomph to run a full Myth
backend. It does make a passable NFS or CIFS server and might be
integrated into a total Myth solution.

Can't say about the Kurobox. It has more RAM and a better CPU (PPC),
but is still somewhat limited.