[mythtv-users] OT Hardware RAID 5 Recommendations

Bob Fager rdfager at bobfager.com
Tue Dec 12 17:40:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, George Galt wrote:

> All:
>
> I've lost a few disks recently, including one on my MythTV box.  I'm
> considering building a server that would hold MythTV files, photos,
> music, as well as back-ups of important documents on other machines,
> and so I've looked into going with hardware raid-5.  Does anyone have
> any suggestions for cards?
>
> I've looked at an  LSI LOGIC MEGARAID SATA 150-6 PCI SATA Controller
> (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16816118011), does
> anyone have any input on this card?
>
> FYI, with the hardware laying around the house, I'm limited to PCI cards only.
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

3ware cards are certainly worth looking at.  They've been well supported
in Linux for a very long time.  They may cost a little more but I think
that you can get a 4 port card (9500S-4) for about the same price as the
LSI card you are talking about.

My experience with 3ware cards has been very good.

Bob