[mythtv-users] DVB to DVD with subtitles. Is there already a script?

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 12:13:08 UTC 2006

On 12/12/06, drbob <drbob at gmx.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I'm planning to write a script that will take a mythtv TS (transport
> stream) file and create an mpg PS (program stream) file with embedded dvb
> subtitles, ready to author to dvd with dvdauthor. Mytharchive doesn't seem
> to have this functionality. I don't have much scripting experience so it
> will probably take me a while but I believe I've worked out the necessary
> steps::
>
>  * dump the recording's cutlist with mythcommflag -f ${file} --getcutlist
>
>  * Use projectx to demux and cut the recording, and also dump the dvb
> subtitles to son format.
>
>  * use the son2spu script from here to  convert the subtitles into an spumux
> compatible format. son2spu may need a little tweaking as it substitutes some
> colours that probably don't need changing in the dvb subtitles of my region
> (UK)
>
>  * Use mplex to multiplex the audio and video files into a single mpeg2
> program stream.
>
>  * Use spumux to multiplex the subtitles into the PS file.
>
>  Does a script already exist to do this? Any feedback on this plan would be
> much appreciated.

I looked at this a while back, and be warned as it is more difficult
that you might imagine. DVDs only seem to allow a very limited palette
of colours which makes things rather difficult considering each DVB
subtitle colour actually has four gradations of colour within it. I
actually wrote a script to perform OCR on the DVB subtitles, which
worked OK, but then I was packaging it into matroska rather than onto
a DVD.

Robin