[mythtv-users] Transcoding and commercial flagging

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 22:19:27 UTC 2006

I may just me misunderstanding, but I am having a problem with my mythbox.

I have an old 1 GHz P3 machine as a mythtv BE/FE, with a PVR-150 as the
tuner card, and 512 MB memory (that is all the motherboard can hold; its an
old COMPAQ small form-factor PC, and if I put more on the motherboard, it
complains that I need to take some out)   I have had two cases where I had
some process run away, and exhaust all of the memory, and lock the machine
up.  Since much of what I watch is PBS, I thought I could save come
processor/memory by not doing the commercial flagging step.  I went into
mythtv-setup, went into the setup section and turned off commercial
flagging.  That seemed to work.  Then I went to transcode a video, and
nothing happened. When I looked on mythweb I saw that there was a huge queue
of jobs waiting for commercial flagging, and that my transcoding job was
stuck at the end.

Did I turn off commercial flagging wrong?  Am I misunderstanding how things
are supposed to work?

As an aside, I built this box for my kitchen as a TV watching and music
listening system.  My wife loves it, has not problems using it, and is using
the Windows box less as time goes on.

Matthew Asplund