[mythtv-users] multiple sources with overlapping channels

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:46:05 UTC 2006

> You need to create a different video source for each provider or
> service that has a different set of channels. Each input with a
> connection to that service should be associated with the video
> source for that service so the system will know which set of
> channels are available for each of your active inputs.
>
> For example, this user also has one digital cable set top box. The
> digital cable service carries channels that are not available over
> basic cable. The user would create another source called "Digital".
> This set top box is connected to the second card by s-video so under
> "Input connections", "Digital" is associated with the s-video input
> of card 2. The system would then know that programs on channels from
> the Digital source can only be recorded from this input. Further,
> the scheduler understands that it can only record one show at a time
> from card 2 so it can assign Cable or Digital shows to the card but
> not both at the same time.
>
> Some TV stations may be broadcast over a channel from the Cable
> source and also broadcast over a channel from the Digital source.
> Note that two channels carrying the same primary station may not
> have the same TV listings due to carrying the primary station part
> time, including local programming exclusive to one of the channels,
> the channels may be in different timezones, etc. Listings
> information must be associated with each channel even if two or
> more channels report that they carry the same station.

I see here that I should have two video sources, one for the analogue
and one for the digital input. I wonder though, surely this would
result in a lot of duplicate data being downloaded?

> <sect2>Matching Callsigns
> If a recording rule is a type that can record from any channel, "The
> Apprentice" would match for any channel that shows episodes which
> may include CNBC or BRAVO. However, for Single, Timeslot. Weekslot
> or Channel rules, "The Apprentice" would only match showings on the
> selected station. For example, KVBC is an NBC affiliate on channel
> 3. Channel 733 is KVBCDT which is HDTV over cable from the same
> station. If a Single record rule was set for "The Apprentice" on
> channel 3, it could not record this showing from 733. If 733 was
> chosen, channel 3 could not be used to record.
>
> However, the "Channel Editor" in mythtv-setup can be used to
> change the "Callsign" for channel 733 to be "KVBC" also, MythTV
> would then understand that both of these channels are from the same
> broadcast station. Assuming the HDTV input was input number "1",
> "The Apprentice" would record on 733. If, however, this digital
> input already had a higher priority show assigned to it in that time
> slot, "The Apprentice" would be assigned to KVBC channel 3 on input
> 2.

Ok, so if in my case I have the digital and analogue BBC2's, which are
in fact exactly the same channel, how should I make them show up as
just a single entry in the EPG? With matched callsigns, I still get
two separate entries, but with matched numbers I understandably get
only one entry (albeit with the strange showing the top channel
behaviour currently), but which video source would it be using to show
program information there and should that only really be used for
inputs that are receiving exactly the same set of channels?

Does matching the callsigns leave you with two entries for a
particular channel, but allow Myth to realise that programs you have
set to record on that channel to record on any channel with a matched
callsign?

Thanks,
Robin