[mythtv-users] SMP Performance

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Dec 10 19:53:33 UTC 2006

On Dec 10, 2006, at 11:41 AM, Greg Grotsky wrote:

> On 12/9/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> You will see advantages with a dual-core or multiple processor system
> since MythTV uses a collection of applications to perform its
> functions. For instance, you'll be able to record, watch HD content,
> commercial flag as you're watching it, and even transcode some
> previously watched program at the same time since each process will
> be spread out over the available cores/cpus. If you only have 1 CPU
> available, it would be very difficult to do all that simultaneously.
> I've noticed my AMD 64 X2 4400+ will use a little more than 100% CPU
> (between mythfrontend and X processes) when watching HD resolution
> content (without XvMC) so I would get stuttering if I didn't have the
> second core.
>
> While it's true that you will see advantages with an SMP system
> since myth is a whole bunch of programs, you should be able to do a
> lot more than that with a AMD64 4400+ X2.  On my system, I can
> watch OTA HD 1920x1080i broadcast streams without XvMC @ ~70-80%
> cpu (no studdering) and I'm using a AMD64 3200+ single core and an
> Nvidia GeForce 5700 Ultra, running AMD64 Debian Etch.  No problems
> while doing on-the-fly commercial flagging either.  I'm toying with
> the idea about upgrading to an X2 processor and getting a second
> pcHDTV card so I can do PIP with two HD streams... that would be
> sweet.

I'm running at 1920x1080 resolution which probably accounts for my
excessive CPU usage.

> Anyway, don't blame my gains on the 64-bit operating system.  I was
> running 32-bit Debian for the first half of my mythbox's life and
> there was no change in load.

I'm also running 64bit but on FC5 and the nvidia 8776 binary drivers.
Right now I'm watching an ABC HD program which I think is 720p and
using 96% CPU. 1080i content uses over 100% since it's de-interlacing
as well.