[mythtv-users] Have you switched from Tivo to MythTV?

John johncalif at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 9 17:12:31 UTC 2006

I was using a couple of DViCO tuners under windows to record HDTV and it was such a hassle that I actually bought one of the new Tivo S3's.  When I first started using the Tivo I was frustrated with the loss of freedom to copy recordings or have the same machine serve as a computer.  After a couple of weeks the Tivo analog tuners became unreliable so I was able to send it back and get a full refund.

  I then spent the money on parts for a new mythtv computer; AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ and an ASUS A8N-VM motherboard with onboard GeForce 6150 video.  I already had the DViCO FusionHDTV 5 PCI and USB tuners but I also bought a pcHDTV 5500 tuner.

  I decided on Fedora Core 5 for the distro.  It took me a while to get the system working but eventually I was so impressed I replaced my windows HDTV recording system with mythtv.

  I love it; three tuners, very reliable, fun to play with, freedom to copy files to and from the system, freedom to use the system for other purposes and configure it the way I want.

  Since I am still experimenting with the configuration it is not ready for the wife to use but she is very happy with the quality of HDTV recordings and playback.

  The only drawback was the number of hours I put into getting mythtv set up and working.  There was a lot I had to learn about linux and mythtv but it has been fun with great results!  No more Tivo for me.