[mythtv-users] IVTV 0.8.1 and PVR 500 with new Samsung, tuners

Paul Fine pfine at comcast.net
Thu Dec 7 20:18:59 UTC 2006

John Drescher wrote:
>> Obviously if you can eliminate an amplifier it can't hurt, amplifying
>> a signal only to throw it away in attenuators is a bit crazy.
>>

> For testing I can do that but without the amp my cable modem does not
> work well so I will have to rearrange things if I find this to work.
> BTW, my cable modem now reads around +6dbmv to +9dbmv.
>
> John

A couple of thoughts.

Is it possible to put the splitter before the amp?  That way the amp
could still be in line with the modem, but the signal to your mythtv
system would not run through the amp.

Did you put in the amp, or did your cable provider?  If you did it, I
recommend calling your provider and asking them fix your signal level
problem.  They should be providing a signal level capable of serving
your modem.  When I picked up internet service from Comcast, they found
that my signal level was too weak.  The tech traced the problem back to
the wire outside the house where the squirrels had chewed off the
insulation.

Good Luck,

--Paul