[mythtv-users] Epias that can handle mpeg4

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Dec 7 17:09:16 UTC 2006

Brett Kosinski wrote:

>> > Epias and MPEG-4...
>>
>> how about HD?  can the Epias as a FE handle HD?
>>

> Well, there are a number of Unichrome chipsets that are capable of doing
> XvMC-accelerated decoding of HD MPEG2.  However, you need to make sure you
> get the right chipset.  See here:
>
> http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats
>
> Specifically, the Unichrome Group B chipsets can do up to 2048x2048.

BUT NOTE, the 2kx2k output is through the VGA output, NOT the TV-OUT.

The CN400 in the SP13000 is matched with the VT1623 TV-out chip which
will only do 1024x1024 out (your choice of S-Video or Composite).

The new VT1625 chip is supposed to be capable of 2kx2k output through
the TV-out setup, but that will equires something better than S-video
out... more like DVi or HDMI and S-video does not have that capability.

Some of these boards will also accept a DVI daughterboard which may
sidestep the TV-out problem.

It appears to me that a major brain-fade in the discussions is the
distinction between TV out and VGA out capabilities.

Geoff