[mythtv-users] 0.20 loves X too much

Henk Schoneveld belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Dec 7 14:30:00 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I think I notice that .20 isn't releasing memory after exiting. Made some
comparisons between fixes of .19 and .20. Boot, log free -m, start
Mythbackend, log free -m, start Mythfrontend go to Recordings page, log free
-m, exit Mythfrontend, log free -m, stop Mythbackend, log free -m.
If I do this with 0.19-fixes I get back all resources back. If I do exactly
the same with 0.20-fixes I've lost 25-30MB which is 'happily' consumed by X.
Both versions are compiled without OpenGL and use QTpainter.
With the 0.20-fixes version after closing all down and starting for example
firefox and then Mythbackend and Mythfrontend to the Recordings page, then
exiting and shutting down Mythbackend and exiting firefox I tend to loose
about the same amount of memory 25-30MB according to free -m.
Any idea how to solve this ?

I tried the above on 2 systems one with old XFree86 with 2.4.22 kernel and one
with Xorg 6.9 with a 2.6.17 kernel. Systems do have other chipsets and
different videocards.

Henk Schoneveld