[mythtv-users] mysql on debian

Scott Martin smartin at steamvalve.com
Thu Dec 7 02:17:23 UTC 2006

George Nassas wrote:
> On 6-Dec-06, at 6:59 PM, Scott Martin wrote:
>

>> mikepolniak wrote:
>>
>>> line to /etc/mysql/my.cnf in order to connect to mysql-server:
>>> old_passwords     = 1
>>>
>> Thank you, I tried that but no go. Also i am on mysql 5
>> I appreciate you getting back to me,
>>

> If the mythtv user was created before the old_passwords line was
> added, and it sounds like it was, then the password will still be in
> the "new" format. You can switch it to the old format like this:
>
> mysql -u root mysql
>
> update user
> set password = old_password('mythtv')
> where user = 'mythtv';
>
> flush privileges;
>
> quit;
>
> The flush is to get the mysql daemon to notice the password change
> otherwise you'd need a reboot or daemon restart.
>
> - George

Thank you George,

Ran the commands you suggested, still no progress, It keeps asking if
the backend is running and if I have the ip addresses configured correctly?
The box is a combo FE/BE and I am using 127.0.0.1 as the IP address for
the backend as well as the frontend. Is there any way to confirm what
the backend is doing (nor doing)?

Thanks Again
Scott Martin