[mythtv-users] commercial flagging

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Dec 5 17:11:36 UTC 2006

    > Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:43:13 -0600
    > From: "Trey Thompson" <treythompson at gmail.com>

    > On a similar note, I've never seen Closed Captioning on a commercial.
    > Maybe they are out there, maybe I just don't remember.  But, I don't
    > THINK I've ever seen it.  So, on a CC show, you could try that.

On second thought, it's less rare than I implied.

Interestingly enough, though, it seems that commercials often look
different in their use of CC.  E.g., I dump CC info to a file, and
commercials often look double-spaced in their CC data whereas normal
shows are single-spaced, or are often in all-caps whereas the show may
use mixed-case, etc.  However, it's too random to depend on; perhaps it
might be predictable (or learnable) for certain channels, but it seems
unlikely there'd be one setting that worked for most people.