[mythtv-users] Help Using Linksys router and OpenWRT to, wakeup my Myth box

McNally mcnallychris at pobox.com
Tue Dec 5 04:04:37 UTC 2006

Santana  wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 20
> Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:00:49 +0100
> From: "come se fosse antani" <antani at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Help Using Linksys router and OpenWRT to
>     wakeup    my Myth box
>
> On 12/3/06, McNally <mcnallychris at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> > I need some help / scripts to run on my router to receive the next
>> > wakeup time from MythTV.
>> >
>> > I flashed my Linksys WRT54G to run Linux/OpenWRT instead of the
>> standard
>> > Firmware.
>> > All of that was quite easy. I really want to be able to wake up the
>> > MythBox and let it shutdown when it's not recording.
>
> I solved that issue on my environment using:
> - a combination of "cron" and "at" on my 24x7 box
> - setting a really simple command in mythtv-setup
>
> You' ve to tell mythtv to create pre shutdown a file in an nfs shared
> dir on your router: in that file you've to write the wakeup time with
> this syntax (hh:mm MM/DD/YYYY).
> Please note that:
> - the hour and time format is case sensitive (for mythtv, I think that
> was hh:MM mm/DD/YYYY) and you've to insert it in mythtv-setup
> - the set wakeup time command is: echo $time (defined as above) >
> /mnt/nfs_shared_partition_on_the_router/wakeuptime
>
> then, on your router:
> insert a cron job that check for the "wakeuptime" file created from
> the mythbox, for example every 30 minutes, and queue the "wakeonlan"
> command, with at
>
> */30 * * * * root echo 'wakeonlan MACAddressMythBox' | at 'cat
> /mnt/wakeuptime'
>
> please note that the ' quotes ' used with "at" are not the same showed
> above, but the "backquotes"... I've an italian keyboard now and I
> don't know how to type it!
>
> If you've problems, I can have more details later; now I don't have my
> mythbox here.
>
> Hope this helps,
> antani

Thank you Antoni! that sounds easy enough. Creating the file in the Myth
shutdown sounds good. I will probably sip it, because I don't have NFS
on the router. Nor do I have the'at' package, I'll look for it and if
not then I will just check the date in the cron job and wake up the Myth
Backend if it's time and delete the file. Thanks for the help.