[mythtv-users] Transcode to MPEG2?

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Mon Dec 4 21:36:08 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Mon Dec 04, 2006 at 09:39:26AM -0800, casey dunn wrote:
>>>  Thanks, I'll look into that.  What puzzles me is why this isn't built
>>> into the standard transcoding options.  We already have MPEG4 and RTjpeg
>>> but
>>> why not MPEG2?  I will definitely check out your suggestion though since
>
>> There seems to be some limitations in the way mythtv was coded and a
>> relative lack of interest.  I remember there being some discussion on list
>> about it ages ago, someone had done most of the work but it has apparently
>> never been finished or integrated.
>
> This might have been me.  I started on this a while back and made quite
> a bit of headway, but it became a low priority and fell by the wayside when
> I quit using my Hauppauge MediaMVP as an occasional frontend.  The current
> incarnation of my patch is nowhere near commit-ready, but I did have it
> creating mpeg-ps files with MPEG-2 video and MP3 audio that I could play with
> mplayer and xine.  I got hung up trying to get the audio to work on the
> MediaMVP with mvpmc and then unapplied the patch from my tree after I quit
> using the MediaMVP for other reasons.
>
> I think the only way that a patch like this will be accepted into SVN is
> if it uses NuppelVideoRecorder, libavcodec, and libavformat.  We don't want
> another recorder class for MPEG-2 software compression.
>
> It's a pretty big patch so far and I'm sure it won't apply cleanly to
> current SVN, but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who thinks they want
> to work on it more.  I can't guarantee that the nuppel/MPEG-4 side of
> NuppelVideoRecorder isn't broken with the current version though, it's
> been a while since I worked on the patch.

Chris,

I would like to work on your patch, if possible.  I have a Air2PC card,
a Dvico FusionHDTV3 Q card on order, and my main display device is an
MVPMC (My wife draws the line at having a PC in the living room, so this
is a "happy" compromise), so I am interested in getting this MPEG2 issue
worked out as well.  In fact, the OP has the same issues as I have, he
just beat me to the punch.....