[mythtv-users] DVD rip aspect ratio off

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Mon Dec 4 18:14:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 18:10 +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 04/12/06, Alex Malinovich <demonbane at the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> > If I do a straight ISO rip of a DVD using mythdvd I get a normal rip
> > preserving the aspect ratio of the DVD (in this case 16:9). However, if
> > I actually transcode the rip to avi it ends up changing the aspect ratio
> > to what looks like 4:3. I'm using the standard settings for mythdvd.
> MPEG2 video can flag widescreen 16x9 and standard 4x3 content in the
> video stream. The AVI container format does not, so to preserve
> widescreen video in AVI-based media you either need to resize the
> video to a widescreen sqaure-pixel ratio such as 640x360, or use a
> media player that can display video using non-square pixels,
> irrespective of the actual dimensions of the video frames.

So with regards to mythdvd, what are my options here? Can I have it
encode to MPEG format instead of AVI? Or is there some way I can tell it
to automatically calculate the aspect ratio of the encoded video based
on the input source (this is what I had hoped would already be
happening). I'd hate to have to manually set up mythdvd for every DVD I
rip to make sure I get the right aspect ratio.

Thanks for the help.

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837