[mythtv-users] DVD rip aspect ratio off

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:10:37 UTC 2006

On 04/12/06, Alex Malinovich <demonbane at the-love-shack.net> wrote:
> If I do a straight ISO rip of a DVD using mythdvd I get a normal rip
> preserving the aspect ratio of the DVD (in this case 16:9). However, if
> I actually transcode the rip to avi it ends up changing the aspect ratio
> to what looks like 4:3. I'm using the standard settings for mythdvd.

MPEG2 video can flag widescreen 16x9 and standard 4x3 content in the
video stream. The AVI container format does not, so to preserve
widescreen video in AVI-based media you either need to resize the
video to a widescreen sqaure-pixel ratio such as 640x360, or use a
media player that can display video using non-square pixels,
irrespective of the actual dimensions of the video frames.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/