[mythtv-users] LiveTV channel switching time

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Dec 4 18:02:54 UTC 2006

Ryan Duffy <dusteur at excite.com> says:
> Anyway - I did a few tests and got pretty consistent results every time:
>
> BBC1->BBC2 approx 5.5 seconds
> BBC2->ITV1 approx 5.5 seconds
> ITV1->CH4  approx 3.5 seconds
> CH4->ITV1  approx 3.5 seconds
> ITV1->BBC2 approx 7.5 seconds
> BBC2->BBC1 approx 5.5 seconds
>
> Note that BBC1 and BBC2 are on one multiplex, and that ITV1 and CH4
> are on another multiplex. Also, I used the up and down arrow keys to
> change channel, so there is no waiting for key input like there
> might be if I changed channel by typing a channel number.

That *is* curious. Using my OTA HD capture card, changes take 3-5
seconds from pushing the enter key on the remote. While we both run
combined frontend/backend boxes, your Opteron trumps my Pentium
4. While both signals are MPEG-2 digital, I am getting 1920x1080 HD
over ATSC while you are getting . . . Well, much, much less than that
over DVB-T.