[mythtv-users] capture card for DirecTV

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Dec 4 02:48:33 UTC 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Jeremy Tietsort wrote:

> Ah, okay, that makes sense.  I'm okay with just getting the analog
> feed at this point.   For the sat receiver, I'll be using either a
> Hughes HDVR2 box or an older RCA box with a data port for channel
> changing.
>
> Also, I think I'm going to want to be able to re-encode content for
> different things (DVD, iPod, etc).   Will I need the encoding feature
> of the PVR350 for this or would it happen in software on the main CPU?
>
> Thanks

The only advantage of a PVR-350 over the others is that you have the
option of outputting MPG2 streams via s-video with the card. And even
then, this feature is not actively being supported by the dev team
because it limits many other cool features you're sure to want when
displaying video.

Transcoding always happens on the CPU of the machine that is handling
the transcode job (either the master backend or any slave backend
setu p to handle transcode jobs).