[mythtv-users] diamond stealth radeon 9250 worth buying?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 19:32:55 UTC 2006

On 02/12/06, Bilge Tutak <bilge.tutak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently using i915g onboard graphics card for my mythtv setup.
> I also use the computer for some other applications. I want to add a
> better capability for graphics. I found a good deal about diamond
> stealth radeon 9250. I checked the previous messages on the list, but
> I could not find a good information. Does any one have this card and
> use it with mythtv? Is it worth of buying it? How about drivers
> support for the linux?

The current closed-source binary ATI driver (fglrx v8.31.5) supports
only Radeon 9500 and newer cards. You would need to use the older
8.28.8 release with no further updates. The Xorg radeon driver should
support you with Xv support, although I'm not sure about the current
TV-Out support in this driver.

I still use a couple of old Radeon 9000/9100 cards with no problems
(aside from no 3D support for the 9100 card with the fglrx driver)
with standard definition recordings/DVDs etc.

I would first look to see if you can find an equally good deal on an
NVidia FX5200 card, which seem to offer better driver support(XvMV,
OpenGL vsync, TV-out etc) and many people on the list use them, even
for HD content.

What problems with the i915G card are prompting the upgrade?

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/