[mythtv-users] recording 2 channels, D-D, A-A, D-A

Csillag Kristof fenwick at freemail.hu
Sat Dec 2 23:02:00 UTC 2006

Hi there!

I would like to ask your advice about some video capture cards.

I would like to set up a linux box which can simultaneously record
two channels; in the following three combinations:
   - Both channels are DVB-T
   - Both channels are analogue TV
   - One channel is DVB-T, the other is analogue.

   * * *

Question 1:

I have found the following card on the internet:
"Pinnacle PCTV Dual Hybrid Pro PCIe".

This card seems to be able to to this (not 100% sure, the specification
is somewhat vague), but I could not find any information about linux
support.

Does anybody have any information about this card?
Is it supported by any linux driver?
(Or is it going to be?)

If it's not supported, could someone please recommend me a similar (but
supported) card?

  * * *

Question 2:

If currently no such card is available, then I must switch to plan B.
That is to achieve the same using two input cards.
(Of course this would cost more, and because of the necessary antenna
splitting, there would be a penalty in signal quality, too.)

In this case, I can imagine two combinations:

B.1
    A dual analogue card (like Hauppauge PVR-500)
    +
    A dual DVB-T card (like Hauppauge Nova-T 500)

B.2
    Two hybrid cards (like Hauppauge HVR-1100 or HVR-1300
                      or even HVR-3000)

Which of the above two solution would you consider better?
And which cards should I buy to implement it?

If I go with B.1, I would (theoretically) be able to simultaneously
record two analogue AND two digital streams - 4 channels total.

Is this really possible?
If yes, how strong hardware do I need to do this?

Thank you for your help!

    Kristof

--
Csillag Kristof <fenwick at freemail.hu>