[mythtv-users] Moving recordings from 1 system to another

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Dec 2 17:44:09 UTC 2006

John Drescher wrote:

> On 12/2/06, *Ian Newby* <ian at codex.org.uk <mailto:ian at codex.org.uk>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi Folks,
>     I have mythtv 0.20 on two systems, and I want to move all the
>     recordings
>     from one to another. I was going to use mytharchive for this but the
>     selection of files to archive is very slow... there are 150gb
>     worth to move.
>
>     I am planning on connecting the two machines over a network and
>     mytharchiving in native format from one to the other.
>
>     Is there any easy way mytharchive all the recordings in one go without
>     going through the menu? or just taking the database records and
>     copying
>     the files manually?
>

> You can try:
>
> Do it once then edit the /tmp/config/mydata.xml file replacing the
> file name
> then execute
>
> python /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/scripts/mythburn.py
>
> from the /tmp/config folder
>

> I do this all the time for making dvd compatible disks but not exports
> so this may not work as
> the actual program info may be in the xml file.
>
> John

Actually mytharchivehelper does the native importing/exporting but you
pass a job file to it like you do the mythburn.py script.

You should be able to _export_ all your recordings in one go. Just go
into 'Select Recordings' and press 'Menu' then 'Select All'. Click OK
then got to the 'Create Native Archive' wizard.  Choose  'File' for the
destination and type in the directory where you want to create the
native archive(s).  You will need LOTS of space in the directory, enough
to hold all your recordings +  a little for the metadata files and
preview images. Continue to the next page and select which recordings
you want to export. Click finish to create the archive.

The problem comes when you need to import them back in. The import
native wizard only allows you to select one recording at a time thats
because you may need to tell it which chanid to use when doing the
import. You could use Johns idea and edit the job file manually or by a
script perhaps and run mytharchivehelper ....config/mydata.xml 1234
where 1234 is the chanid to use and mydata.xml is the job file but you'd
have to do that for each recording. Probably easier to use the UI?

Paul H.