[mythtv-users] Internal DVD Player Problems

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 05:04:22 UTC 2006

I've had a couple problems using the internal DVD player in myth for some
time.

1) Not all but many DVDs get choppy right at a chapter breaks while watching
the movie (such as "The Matrix").  This is just an annoyance because the
sound and video will stutter for about 5 seconds around chapter breaks but
it catches up and continues on.

2) I have a button on my remote setup for the JUMPTODVDROOTMENU option in
the keybindings and it works well for about half the movies we watch but
there are some which it doesn't work at all.  On these movies, it's as if
the button is not programmed.  On very few movies (such as "Madagascar")
when I hit the button I have configured for JUMPTODVDROOTMENU it actually
exits the player and returns back to the optical menu. :(

3) Also, when using the left/right arrow keys to skip around in the movie
occasionally it will spontaneously jump back to the beginning of the movie.
I've noticed it happens very often while skipping backward as fast as
possible within about 10 quick remote keypresses the stream starts again at
the beginning.  This sucks if this happens while watching a movie, as you
might imagine.

4) On a few DVDs (such as "About A Boy"), selecting the "Play Movie" option
from the DVD's root menu causes the player to crash back to the optical
disks menu.  The only way to play these types of movies is to use the
"Select a scene" function in the menu.

Any help on these?

Thanks,
-Greg