[mythtv-users] An option for watching tv

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Dec 1 16:37:10 UTC 2006

On Dec 1, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Jeff Wormsley wrote:

>> also, what is the objection to using browse mode or the program guide
>> to 'channel surf'?
>
> Do you have a wife?  I do, and it's hard enough to get her to use the
> system in the first place.  When it takes forever (to her) to
> change the
> channels, she complains and makes me unhook the Mythbox and hook up
> the
> cable box direct.  She won't even use the system to get used to the
> wonderful things a PVR can do for her, because she can't watch TV the
> way she wants to.  I'm fairly sure, if she got used to the interface,
> and got used to watching her captured shows that she didn't miss
> because
> we went out, or were visiting relatives for the holidays, etc ad
> nauseum, she too would come around to the PVR way of life and quit
> channel surfing.  But while it takes so long to change channels, I
> can't
> even get her to use the system.

Maybe you should replace your wife and see if that solves your slow
channel-change issues.

>> in any case, after seeing this discussion many, many times i don't
>> think i've ever once seen the people complaining try to debug the
>> channel changing speed in any sort of useful or helpful manner.
>> obviously none of the devs care about this issue so people who do
>> care
>> and are complaining are probably going to have to fix it themselves.
>
> Fair enough.  And I have no problem with that, either.  The devs write
> what they want, and that's cool.  However, no one should be claiming
> that there isn't any problem when it is obvious that there is.
> Sticking
> your head into the sand, or just "living with it" is not useful to
> anyone.

No one has said there is no problem. Just that there is no problem
for them. The work-arounds are acceptable to most people. And quite
frankly, changing channels on my DirecTivo took just about as long as
it does with MythTV, so I've just come to accept the fact that
changing channels takes that long. MT Cox Digital box took longer to
change channels than MythTV with a DirecTV D-11 STB.

>> just doing a search on 'channel change speed' on gossamer makes it
>> pretty obvious that this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in the
>> past.
>
> And, unless someone gets sick enough of seeing these messages, and
> does
> something about it, we will continue to see this topic coming up over
> and over and over again.  But, if we are to take your attitude about
> channel change speeds and apply it to the mailing list, then there
> is no
> problem with this topic coming up repeatedly and you'll just have to
> "live with it".

This is not a public soap box. Someone pays for the bandwidth to
communicate. That someone has made his opinion on this subject clear
that he does not want to "live with" topics coming up over and over
again with the same complaints and no one offering solutions.