[mythtv-users] Sound level problem after installing 2nd tuner card

Jeff Morrow jmorrow at jmorrow.org
Thu Aug 31 19:59:36 UTC 2006

Hi there.  I recently added a 2nd tuner card to my Myth system.  The
original card is a Pinnacle PCTV, the new card is a WinTV-PVR-150 MCE.
Things are working fine, both cards are recording shows properly.
However, the sound levels on the inputs are quite different.  The
Pinnacle card (which goes through /dev/dsp) is quite loud and somewhat
distorted, almost like the sound is being amplitude-clipped.  This
distortion did not occur before.  The WinTV card is much quieter, but
not distorted.  This is still a problem, though, because if I turn up my
audio to watch a quiet show, then leave it cranked up and switch to a
loud show, ouch...

1) What should I do to try and get rid of the distortion?
2) Is there any way to make sure that all recorded programs are at
roughly the same sound level, regardless of which card recorded them?

Also, a quick unrelated question: when I configured my new card, I
somehow lost all of my channel names, so now it says, for example,
"Channel 39" instead of "ESPN".  It's been so long, I've forgotten how
to fix that.

Thanks,
Jeff Morrow