[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Deciding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 30 13:33:07 UTC 2006

On 08/30/06 08:42, Trey Thompson wrote:

>I've been comparing the video performance between the two, and there is
>a HUGE difference between the two.  The 350's out is perfect, just like
>live TV (using the hardware decoder), but going out the video card is
>choppy and is obviously not 29.97 fps.

The nice thing about PVR-350 output is that it either works perfectly or
it doesn't work at all--there's no way to configure it so it works, but
outputs poorly.  A video card, however, has many configurations that
work, only a few of which will give good results.  So, it's a lot more
work to configure the video card.

>How can I troubleshoot this?

Start off by only having one screen (on the final display
device)--setting up dual screens (with a monitor and a TV, for example)
adds unnecessary complications to the configuration.  Once you get the
one screen working, then you can use the knowledge you've gained and try
to add another screen if desired.

Other than that, about all I can say is use known-working hardware (i.e.
you'll probably get best results with an NVIDIA card since most Myth
users are using them), read a lot, and try everything you can think of
and, most importantly, be patient and eventually you'll get it.  Or, if
you don't want to wait that long, you can always buy a new HDTV with a
VGA/DVI/HDMI input and circumvent the whole issue.  (Definitely an
expensive workaround, though. ;)

Mike