[mythtv-users] Complete newbie - stuck at first hurdle

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Tue Aug 29 19:37:49 UTC 2006

I have JUST started to set up mythtv.  I aim to have a backend on my server
and run a frontend, initially on my workstation, and later, if I can get that
to work on another computer that my wife uses.

I bought myself a couple of freecom DVB-T tuners and I have been exporing what
I need to do to get them to be seen by mythtv.  I started by looking at the
linuxtv web site for supported devices, and then seemed to find that I need
to have some firmware available and put it into /lib/firmware
or /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.  However, although it talks about the freecom
device, it then says that a different frontend chipset might be used in it.
How can I tell which?

I have a Debian Etch system, and

- both of these directories exist
- udevd package seems to replace hotplug

So where do I put the firmware?
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk